Skip to main content

The magical bookshelf

This bookcase has been in my home and in my family for many, many years. When I was younger it was in our playroom. Since then the house has been rearranged and reconstructed many times. It's now in my living room. It's funny that the shelf has never moved but the room has changed quite a few times around it. It was a bedroom, playroom, office, and then living room. The original shelf was also brown. When my mother owned the house, I convinced her to let me paint it an ivory color and when we bought the house I painted it a very light grayish color.

I've color coded the books in the case. My cousin Danny, loved to make fun of me for it when I first did it. It's ok, I can see that he loves it too. ;) In most of the shelves I have books along with different items.

Here is a full shot of the bookshelf.

I took some close ups to show what hidden treasures are in it.

This is the left bottom shelf which contains a Willow Tree angel that watches over us. A friend of mine and I have the same one, wonder if she still has it? I also have a mini wedding album that is held up by the lucky brass elephant. Behind it is an old wood painting, that shows part of the map of the world. I have three more of these, two hanging up and the other on the other side of this shelf.


In this shelf, I have books with a marble horse book end that I got in a Flea Market in PA. where my mom lives. I also have a little glass pig that I bought there too. Next to it on the right, it a cake topper that was my grandparents, some more books, a "B" for my last name, and a beautiful Swarovski shell that holds a pearl, this was a gift my aunt. Below these two shelves, are of course more books and a picture of my brother in law and sister in law at their wedding, a frame with pictures from my best friend (she loves to take pictures and I love to receive the ones she takes!), a jewelry box that I believe was my grandmothers, some rocks in a bottle and a teeny tiny bell. There is also a sign that say, "Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted over come it." Hilarious !

The cake topper was my grandparents. When my grandmother was still alive I would go to her home to clean it for her. I always admired this when it was in her curio cabinet. After she passed, my mother received it and I eventually convinced her to give to me. I love it. Everything about it, I love.

The top of this next picture is more photographs from my best friend, along w a cast iron rooster, porcelain cat and small pewter duck and squirrel? I think it's a squirrel lol. The middle picture I had take in NYC by the Twin Towers location, shortly after 9-11. Below is an old jewelry box that I am not quite sure who is belonged to in my family, but I loved it and kept it for myself. On top are my baby shoes that my mother bronzed. Next to that are more books, a ceramic owl and turtles and an awesome picture of my mother when she was younger. One of my favorites.

Here is another shelf with a very old picture that my mom had that I framed, a Llardo figurine that I swore I would collect more of and never did, an old bottle that we found cleaning out the yard that I have filled with wine bottle corks and something that I can not explain other than when you hold it, the heat from your hand makes the blue water rise to the top. No clue what this is called ! There is also a small wooden cross on this shelf.
You can get a tiny glimpse of the left of this shelf is a Willow Tree Figure that my in laws bought for me for I believe our first anniversary. I love it and I love Willow Tree.

So there are some of the treasures I have in my home. Do you have any?

And yes, I have a few bibles in this bookshelf. Can you count how many?

Comments

redellen14 said…
It fills my heart with joy when I see how your treasure Nanny and Poppy's wedding topper! The bronze shoes at times I wish where still on your feet!
cozy foland said…
i colored coded my books! one long shelf! LOVE IT LOVE YOURS!
\

Popular posts from this blog

Beadboard wallpaper oh yea !!!

Oh how I love this, what an easier way to do what I want in our bedroom. And cheaper !! There is one made by Martha Stewart and Wall Doctor. So doing this ! What a great great way to get what you want with out the work and cost.

Some of my favorite outfits for Lil B so far

  I just love dressing Lil B. I can not handle it. Here are five of my faves... He is so stylish When he was a wee 1 month old !    

A NYC Magical weekend

This pass weekend Mr. B and I decided to head into the city to walk around, shop and grab some street eats. It was so fun and there was just something magical about it. I took my camera along to photograph somethings. I am pretty sure we walked 40 blocks that day. Pretty awesome. This is what greeted us right outside of Penn Station. Lots of people, cabs and billboards. The next stop H & M, how cool is this light fixture. I really wanted it ! Next up Lush. Have you been? If not find one in your area and get there asap. It's amazing and all the products are great. I ended up getting sugar lips scrub and hand gurugu Here are the handmade soaps they offer too. Never tried but I hear they are amazing too ! Next up Bryant Park. It was a first for me and Mr. B... weird right? This time of year they have their own beautiful tree and cute holiday shops. It was very fun. Here is a picture of the trees because yes, there are trees in spots of NYC. I think the tree in Bryant Park is way p